Saturday, April 27, 2019

Asherah of the Redwoods


I call and invoke you,
Old Mother Redwood –
Come and be my Asherah.
I will make you a shrine
as my foremothers did
in the terebinth groves
of the holy land.
Before Yahweh knocked down
your posts and poles
and usurped your seas,
Before your hilltops were razed
for the building of fortresses,
Before the men decided that
all power must be delivered
by their hands,
Before your daughters were forced
to cover their heads,
You raised the wildness of spirit
and delivered oracles,
You offered your breasts 
to feed the people,
You rose from the deep earth
to the high heavens,
glorifying and demonstrating
what we all have to do –
Praise the green and growing earth,
Sink down our roots
and raise our spirits,
Nurture all and stand tall.
I ask with yearning heart -
Be my Asherah,
here on this land,
at this time,
for the need is great,
and I vow to stand
with and for You.




No comments:

Post a Comment