Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Two new plague poems.

My daily plague poems are mounting up, so I thought I'd share a few.  The first one was largely in response to waiting to hear from a doctor I'd been trying to contact for a week.  Stay healthy!  Not only from the coronavirus, but from more common ailments because it's challenging to deal with the overwhelmed medical establishment at all.  (Yes, I did hear from him finally, and it was very helpful.)

Waiting
  
Waiting for the doctor to call.
Waiting for the fear to subside.
Waiting for the pain to stop.
Waiting for the trees to speak.
Waiting for the flowers to rise up.
Waiting for tears to fall.
Waiting for the heart to open.
Waiting for consolation.
Waiting for restoration.
Waiting for grief to end.
Waiting for grief to begin.
Waiting for the exhalation.
Waiting for a new story.
Waiting for words from the ancestors.
Waiting.



And then I did hear from the trees.

Listening


In the dark
pre-dawn mornings,
I listen to the trees.
Sometimes I hear nothing,
but feel their reassuring presence.
Sometimes words sail
into my head,
like the goldfinches
landing on my bird feeder.
Today they told me:
Ground!  Ground deeply.
You will know people
who get ill.
You may know some who
will die.
You could even be
one of them.
Your task today
is to ground and be
a solid presence
on this patch of earth.
Watch us
and follow suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment