Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Who answers the door? A new poem

 The title of the poem says it all...

Fear

  

He sits, vigilant,

in a hard-backed chair,

twirling a thin mustache

between thumb

and forefinger.

Any time there is

a knock at the door,

he is quick to

get there first.

I never even try

to beat him

to the punch.

 

Look - I say to him –

You have done this

my whole life.

Can’t you let

someone else

respond?

 

Absolutely not – he says.

You gave me this job,

and I will always

perform.

 

All right – I say.

But I will follow

and decide myself

how to welcome

any arrival.

 

His shoulders

slump a bit.

He is so used

to being

in control.

But I am no longer

a child, or even

an adult.

I am an old woman.

It is time

to take my place.

I sit down

In that chair.

He backs off

and goes to stand

in the corner,

waiting.




No comments:

Post a Comment