Thursday, June 28, 2012

One-Trick Pony


I was thinking this morning about my life-long fascination with Persephone, and the phrase “one-trick pony” popped into my mind.  That took me into this first draft of a poem:

One-Trick Pony


I admit it.
I’m a one-trick pony.
It’s an odd thing
for a pagan to be.
After all,
polytheists believe in the many,
            the goddess with a thousand faces,
            the diversity of the universe,
            the many-faceted jewel of divinity.
But I also believe
that Stafford was right, that
“…following the wrong god home we may miss our star.”
So I followed my one god. 
I know
that she is one of many.
I don’t know
if I chose her
or if she chose me.
I have walked, ridden and crawled
down her road,
knowingly and unknowingly,
for sixty years.
I have taken refuge
in the houses of other gods,
but she holds the teachings
I am required to follow.

Why Persephone?  I think it must have to do with the journeying between worlds, learning to navigate and live with the changes of moving from the light world to the dark and back.  There is, of course, the fact that I was born in the spring.  And, it's hard to ignore her story's focus on death.  Being the fear-based type that I am, what else would I focus on?

I have been wondering a lot about what I should be learning in this time of experiencing one physical problem after the next.  I feel out of whack, or hunkered down in the doldrums (hmm....that would be a good title for a poem), hanging out here with Hecate who has always been Persephone's guide and companion.  Maybe I've wandered off the road and she is leading me back to my chosen god.

No comments:

Post a Comment