Monday, August 12, 2019

A New Poem - At a Restaurant in Berkeley


Birthday dinner
with friends.
Companionable.
Good Italian food,
artfully presented.
Across the way,
an old couple sits
side by side,
with a friend
across the table.
The wife’s long white hair
is pulled to the side
in a high ponytail.
So Berkeley - I think -
she perhaps an artist,
both perhaps old
academics.

Cocktails arrive
at their table, hers
in a full, wide 
champagne glass.
She struggles to lift it
with two trembling hands,
and I hold my breath,
concerned for imminent spillage.
Although it takes a torturous time,
she manages to raise it to her lips
without mishap.
He serves her tomatoes, basil,
mozzarella cheese from
a shared appetizer plate,
then turns away,
letting her attend to herself.

From time to time,
in silent spaces in
our own conversation,
I glance at her
and see how stalwartly
she makes her slow
and shaky way
through her dinner.
I think – This is her life
every day, and his
to cope with as well.

My friends and we
are all past seventy ourselves,
yet still preserve a modicum
of vitality and elan,
despite complaints
about our bodies’ failures.
But soon, I know,
that could be us.

If I were more courageous,
I would ask them -
How do you find the fortitude
to live with your infirmities
and challenges?
In my mind I imagine
them responding -
What is the alternative?

And yet, here they are,
in this vibrant town
by a gleaming bay,
eating at a fine restaurant,
together, and with
companionship.
This is the work then –
and the gifts -
of living into
a privileged old age.



No comments:

Post a Comment