Saturday, August 3, 2019

Reframing

Our house in Menlo Park sold exactly seven years ago, and we were able to begin our new life in Oakland (and how grateful we are).


Interestingly, my friend who still lives in the old neighborhood told me the house was up for sale again, and I was interested and a little horrified to see the "improvements" they'd made - everything, and I mean everything, was painted white, included the brick fireplaces, our light wooden kitchen cabinets, and our beautiful blue bathroom tiles.  Well, it must have worked because it sold - and quickly - for almost twice what we sold it for!  Of course, our house here has also increased ridiculously in value as well.  The times we're living in... Oy.

But what I really wanted to talk about was the practice of reframing I embarked on when the old house was for sale.  I had broken my foot and was pretty housebound.  Of course, I had to vacate the premises every time a realtor brought a prospective buyer.  Man, I hated that knee scooter!  And it took a while before the house sold.  It was a challenging time.  I got the idea, though, to reframe my thinking and consider that period as a writing retreat.  I began this blog then.  It really helped me get through those weeks.

Maybe it's the timing of the anniversary of the sale, but in any case, I had reason to remember that reframing exercise this morning.  I've been having these wonky palpitations lately, and so my cardiologist decided to have me wear a patch that tracks your heartbeats for two weeks.  I did this once before, and all wound up fine, but still I can't help but be a bit anxious about it, especially since I can't swim for the whole time, and swimming is what I do for health and sanity.  

This morning, remembering the events of seven years ago, I had the thought that I could reframe the current episode the way I did then.  It will now be my exercise in heart-opening.  Every time I feel and get annoyed by the patch, every time my heartbeat pounds or feels weird, I will make an effort to think, Well, here's another reminder to open my heart.  I don't know how successful I will be, but it's worth a try.

And so, here's a poem I wrote some time back about the heart (and, of course, pomegranates):

What Your Heart Says

It is only just beginning,
this cracking open of grief.
Look into the crevices,
see what seeps out and
what longs to come forward.
Your heart is like a pomegranate,
split-skinned and spilling forth
dark rubies of fruit.
Let them break loose and tumble free.
Expose what’s at the core.
Bequeath it to
 the dark and friable soil 
of the soul. Hope for
the new green shoots
that sprout from suffering.


No comments:

Post a Comment